News » Headlines
37 dead, scores missing in flash floods in northern and central regions
  • | dtinews.vn | October 12, 2017 11:54 AM
 >>  Seven die in Nghe An floods, many areas isolated
At least 37 people have been killed while dozens of others remain missing in flash floods which have ravaged several northern mountainous and central provinces over the past two days.

A report from the National Steering Committee on Natural Disaster Prevention and Control released Thursday said that by 1pm on October 11, the floods had left 37 deaths, 21 injures while 40 others remained missing in the northern and central regions.

More than 200 houses had collapsed, 17,000 others flooded and nearly 800 households had been evacuated, the report said.

Authorities in Yen Bai have reported four deaths while more than ten others are still missing in the flood.

According to Do Duc Duy, chairman of Yen Bai People’s Committee, heavy rains which started from October 10 has have caused serious flooding in many local areas, particularly Van Chan District and Nghia Lo Town. Around 200 houses in Nghia Lo Town have been seriously flooded. Rescue forces have been sent to there to help people move to safe places.

 

Yen Bai Province ravaged by the flood on October 11.


Tran The Hung, director of the provincial Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, said that by Wednesday morning, eight houses in Van Chan District have completely been ruined by the floods. A four-member family has been swept away by the flood and still remains missing.

The floods have also caused in three deaths and left five others missing in Tram Tau District.

Four people including a reporter from the Vietnam News Agency fell and were swept away after a bridge collapsed in Nghia Lo District at 12 pm on October 11, according to director of the provincial Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Tran The Hung.

 

Many areas in Nghia Lo Town are submerged by flood water.


Meanwhile, Hoa Binh Province’s Natural Disaster Prevention and Rescue Board reported that around 20 people in four families in Suoi Lanh and Dong Nghe communes in Da Bac District have gone missing in the floods and rescue forces are still trying to search for them.

Head of Da Bac District's Department of Agriculture, Nguyen Van Son, said that 11 people have been reported dead in the floods as of 3.30 pm on Wednesday.

 

Hoa Binh Hydro-power Plant discharges water.



As of 11 am on October 11, Hoa Binh Hydropower Plant has opened its eight floodgates, which worsened the flooding in many surrounding areas. Vice head of the National Steering Committee on Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, Nguyen Duc Quang said that this was the biggest discharge at Hoa Binh Reservoir in 10 years.

Chairman of Hoa Binh Province People's Committee has issued a local natural disaster emergency alert.

Authorities in Son La Province have also reported five deaths and three missing due to the flood over the past two days in the area.

In the two central provinces of Thanh Hoa and Nghe An, 16 people have been confirmed dead in floods triggered by torrential rains which have isolated many areas.

Leave your comment on this story

 
 
 
 
 
   


nhantaidatviet.vnpt.vn