Education
Exam reform leads to closing of exam-preparation centers
  • | VietNamNet | May 20, 2015 05:06 PM
University entrance-exam preparation centers, which mushroomed in number some years ago, will be shut down because of a new exam regulation.


The centers usually launch three enrolment campaigns a year, in mid-September, mid-March and early June, when students register for intensive training courses right before the university entrance exams. 

The exam preparation center belonging to the HCM City University of Natural Sciences has announced it will start a one-month intensive training course on May 25, which is expected to end on June 28. Each student has to pay VND1.5 million to attend the course.

To date, however, only 40 students have registered for the course.

Pham Hong Danh, director of Vinh Vien University’s Entrance Exam Preparation Center, in said in previous years, 2,000 students each registered for the September and March courses, but now only 500 will enroll.

Danh anticipated a low number of students to register for the upcoming intensive training course.

Nguyen Ngoc Trung, deputy director of the exam preparation center under the HCM City University of Education, also said that the number of learners has dropped by 75%. 

Therefore, Trung remains indecisive on whether to organize an intensive training course before the national exam.

Pham Anh Ba from the HCM City Education and Training Department noted that many exam preparation centers have shut down over the last three years because of the new exam mechanism.

He said students nowadays do not have to study too hard because the exam questions are not s difficult as they were in the past. 

Students just need to review basic knowledge to be able to answer the questions and pass the exams to university, which they can do at home instead of going to exam preparation centers.

Trung from the HCM City University of Education said in previous years, students from southern provinces had to go to HCM City to attend the national university entrance exams. They also looked for exam preparation centers in the city.

However, things will be different from now on. With the new regulation, students will only have to attend one national exam to finish high school and enter university. They do not have to go to HCM City to attend the exam, but can register to sit the exam in places near their homes. 

According to Danh, only 20 percent of students go to such classes nowadays. They have good learning records and want to obtain high marks from the national exam to be eligible to apply for prestigious schools. The other 80 percent of students review the exam themselves or have private tutoring lessons with high school teachers.

Leave your comment on this story